If you live in a small space, you should do the things that make it feel luxurious.
Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize nothing is lacking, the whole world belongs to you”
Small Space Living
Living Large In Small Spaces
A Cozy Lifestyle with Clearissa Coward
My husband and I live in what I like to call a cozy space. Others may call it small, but we make it work. Our home is a little over 1700 square feet of heated space and when you live in a space that size, storage space is premium. To avoid storage issues, you must be vigilant when protecting your space from clutter and disorganization. Organizing a small space can be challenging, but with some planning and creativity, it is possible to make the most of the available space. In this article, I am discussing several tips for small space living.
Small Space Living:
- Declutter: The first step is to get rid of any items that are not essential or do not have a designated place in your space. Be ruthless in your decluttering process and only keep the items that you truly need or love.
- I try really hard to use the rule of one in one out, which means that if I buy something new, I have to purge one thing. For instance, if I purchase a sweater, I have to purge a sweater. If I purchase a kitchen utensil, I must purge a kitchen utensil (that’s the difficult one for me.).
- Maximize vertical space: When you have limited floor space, it is essential to maximize vertical space by installing shelves, hanging baskets, or wall-mounted storage units. This will allow you to store items without taking up valuable floor space. This is a great tip if you have a small pantry.
4. Use multi-functional furniture: In a small space, every piece of furniture should serve more than one purpose. You should invest in furniture pieces that can serve multiple functions, such as a sofa bed, a storage ottoman, or a foldable table.
5, Double-duty Décor: Décor items can also serve multiple purposes. I have faux books that are actually storage boxes that come in handy for storing remotes or pretty and decorative boxes that serve as storage for hair supplies and/or jewelry, or makeup. Thus, eliminating clutter on your dresser or bathroom counter.
6. Create zones: Divide your small space into different zones based on their function. For example, you can create a living area, a workspace, and a sleeping area. This will help you utilize the space efficiently and make it easier to stay organized.
7. Rooms Serve Double-duty: In cozy spaces, sometimes one room has several uses. For instance, my office is also my craft room and although I have a guess room, my grandson demands (in a sweet way) to use the daybed in my office/craft room when he stays over.
8. Use storage solutions: Storage is essential in a small space. Use under-bed storage boxes, hanging organizers, and over-the-door racks to maximize storage space. I use all three in our home.
9. Keep it organized: Once you have organized your small space, it is important to maintain it. Make a habit of putting things back in their designated places and avoid cluttering the space with unnecessary items.
10. Label Everything: I use labels throughout our home. That helps hubs to know where things go. He doesn’t always get it right, but labels have certainly helped, and it also helps me as well. I label containers in the pantry, craft room, storage closet, laundry closet, and even the fridge. But I do love making labels. 😊
If you follow these tips, you can effectively organize a small space and make it feel more spacious and functional.
Don’t forget to share this post with your family & friends. I greatly appreciate it.
Hugs & Blessings,