From the Desk of Clearissa Coward’s Command Center-Food & Recipes
One Pot Dish – Meatball Stew
This post is a tribute to my mother-in-law (MIL) and her undeniable skill in the kitchen!
So we had just a couple of cool days and right away, hubs wanted something meaty and hearty. Like most men, hubs feels his mother is the best cook in the world and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. Especially in this case because my MIL is truly a master in the kitchen. So he had a childhood moment and wanted what he called meatball stew. Now I have done a lot of things with hamburger and spaghetti sauce but never a meatball stew. So he called my MIL and she gave him this recipe that she had made for them when he was a child. So first, thanks to my MIL for the original recipe for this one-pot dish – Meatball Stew. If you follow my Instagram, you have seen the picture of the finished product.
There could be affiliate links within this post. However, all opinions and ideas are my own. Clicking on and using the links to purchase products does not increase your cost at all. I appreciate your support.
Now with all that said, you all know me…I never follow a recipe. I always have to add or change something. 🙂 And this was no different. What I will do when I add the ingredients is put a star alongside the ingredients for the original recipe and I will add “optional” for the ingredients I added that you do not have to add. So in all actuality, you are getting two recipes for one in this post. 🙂 Now I made a large pot so this recipe will serve at least eight people; however, it can be frozen and will make for an easy dinner from the freezer on those busy days.
- 2 lbs Hamburger*
- 3 Stalks of Celery*
- 2 medium onions*
- 2 small bell peppers*
- 3 whole carrots sliced*
- 5 medium potatoes*
- Fresh mushrooms*
- Small jar of spaghetti sauce (or make your own using tomato paste and tomato sauce)*
- 1 can of sweet peas (optional)
- 1 lb shrimp (cleaned and deveined) (optional)
- Season Salt
- Coarse black pepper
- Garlic powder
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- clean and devein shrimp and refrigerate
- sautee bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and celery in olive oil until tender – add a little of the hamburger to the vegetables and sautee ( I wanted a little hamburger going through the stew but this is strictly optional)
- mix hamburger & seasoning
- roll into medium-sized meatballs and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- set oven to 350
- place meatballs into the oven and bake for 30 minutes
- In a large saucepan add
- jar of spaghetti sauce
- fill the empty jar with water and add to sauce
- season to taste
- add drained sauteed vegetables & hamburger to spaghetti sauce
- add carrots to the sauce
- set to medium heat
- once meatballs are done, add to sauce
- add drained can of sweet peas
- season all to taste with seasonings listed
- add fresh basil leaves
- once the sauce is bubbling, turn down to simmer for 30 minutes
- add potatoes to stew and let simmer for about 30 minutes
- finally, add shrimp and simmer for 15 minutes
- ready to serve
Serve with saltine crackers or cornbread. We prefer cornbread. And you have a delicious, hearty and one-pot meal. I’m not sure if you are ready for it quite yet but hubs was and he enjoyed it. I will make it again once the weather is cooler. 🙂 But it was actually really, really good. I want to thank my mother-in-law again for the recipe. She is truly a great cook. Thank you, Mrs. Coward your name should be in lights because you are a rock star!
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will also like this one.
How about you? Are you like me and add to or change original recipes or do you follow a recipe to the “T”? Do you have any one-pot specialties you would like to share? If so leave your responses in the comment section below. Until our next recipe. Keep it creative and interesting.
Don’t forget to check out my eBook; Organize Your Life in 21 Days. It’s is available for download and has a variety of small projects to help you take on and complete projects you may not have thought of. Get your copy today and get your house in order.
Never miss another article, tip or project. Get them delivered directly to your email. Subscribe today! And let’s stay connected.
Until next time…I remain in my Element!
Don’t forget to share this post with your friends. I greatly appreciate it.
Thank You for Stopping By!